Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Memorial Day Part II

My Grandma, Nelva Steed Birt, was one of my very favorite people. She was honestly an angel here on earth. I have so many great memories of her, since we grew up just "through the field" from her and Grandpa. The house I live in now was their "honeymoon cottage" that they lived in when they were married. I love living here on her land, I think of her daily as I go about my "routine", knowing that she went through a "routine" in this kitchen, too, looked out the same windows as I do, although I know she worked alot harder than I do now!

For the last several years of her life, she had alot of family members that spent many hours caring for her. My mom was one of these people. One of my mom's "tasks" only took place once a year, but became one of my favorite traditions. We used to take her out on memorial day to visit the graves.

I had to smile when I read Ginger's post about visiting the cemeteries with her grandma. Our grandmas were best friends and did everything just alike. Like Ginger said about her grandma, my grandma had beautiful peonies, lilacs and irises that we would cut for that day and put in a can for the graves.

Grandma, my mom and I would then visit the Clinton cemetery. My Grandma was an only child, and her mother died when Grandma was just a girl. (sorry to those that are reading this and may know the facts better than I..) We always visited her grave, and Grandma told us more than once that when she (Grandma) was gone, no one would visit her mother's grave. We promised her we would...Also in the Clinton Cemetery is Grandma Mitchell, who is actually Grandma's Aunt Grace who raised her. She was a wonderful lady and was Grandma to my dad and his brothers and sister.

It was 6 years ago that my grandma died, and my mom and I carried on the tradition of visiting the Clinton Cemetery. That first memorial day she had only been gone for 2 months. We visited her grave first, and then went out to her mothers and Grandma Mitchell's. I felt closer to my grandma there than at her own grave. I knew she was so happy that we had gone there for her.
We still go every year, and my sisters join us, usually. It has definitely become one of my favorite traditions. We have added a couple of stops, of course, we visit Grandma and Grandpa's graves in Ogden, and then visit Lana's in Uintah. It is a time I treasure with my Mom and sisters, as small and short of an outing it usually turns out to be...

Wendy and Mom at Grandma's Mothers grave, Hilda Kirkman Steed. Ralph and Dana had beat us this year! There were already flowers there!


Wendy and me at Grandma and Grandpa's graves. Nelva Steed and John William Birt. Mom was bummed that the Pepsi wagon behind us wasn't even open yet! I think we were record early this year! We usually see the Poll clan there. It was pretty empty at 9 a.m.

Wendy took the picture at Uintah, and I guess she didn't know how to work my camera, because there was no picture on it when I got home...maybe next year!

9 comments:

Jeni said...

I think it's so neat that you do this together. These are great family memories.

Jenny Kapp said...

I love visiting graves. There is a great sense of heritage that is so strong when you visit grave sites. Loving it!!

GINGER said...

I loved reading this Becky. It's wonderful to hear someone that has such a connection with their grandma. I didn't realize until later years how uncommon it is to grow up next door and have this beautiful relationship with a grandparent. And it is an extra fun coincidence to have it be you and have our grandma have been best friends. I bet we both have amazing stories to cherish.

Shaury said...

Let me grab a tissue. I love grandma too & the older I get the more I appreciate the kind of woman, wife, & mother she was. I really look up to her! I wish I could have been with you guys this year on Memorial day, I guess there's always next year.

Tiffany said...

again you have made me cry. I miss grandma too. I wish I could ask her how she did it all. 6 kids, (grandpa) the farm and this flower garden. I only have the front and I can't keep up. Help!!!!
I too love living where she did looking out the same windows and pulling the same weeds. Sorry I haven't pulled them to your house and back like she use to when I lived there. I think we are both so lucky to have known her in such a personal way.... Counting my blessing again/ Thanks beck:)

Angie said...

I also thought about not seeing the Birts at the cemetery this year. We went Sunday because we knew it would rain Monday. We did miss you guys. When Phoebe and Emma do things together, I always picture Lana looking down with a smile.
I'm barely catching up on all your posts (stupid, stupid cancer!) and see that you found Sheye's blog last weekend. Sorry and your welcome at the same time. My friend has wanted me to go to this blog forever and I kept telling her that I didn't want to cry and read about a mom's loss of her child, but once I dared go in, I was grateful and also obcessed. I go there now when I start getting ornery with the kiddies. It totally changes my attitude.
My apologies for the neverending comment, which BTW, I absolutely think ALL comments are great.

Unknown said...

Hey Becky I spy on your blog sometimes and I like how I feel like I know you better because of these stupid blogs.

Ellie McFreaken said...

What a great idea for Memorial day. You and Ginger have inspired me. I'll have to see if we have any relatives around this area. How sad that I don't even know.

Randon thought here but on my tag how could I have forgotten HAIRSPRAY.....I could watch that movie over and over again! I'm going to go add that to my list!

Stacy said...

I love to read all memories about Grandma and Grandpa. The best part was being so close that we could spend every possible minute at their house. I am so glad that you and Tiff got those homes cuz I know you both will take very good care of them and their memories!