Tuesday, July 29, 2008

a Picture-ful post!

As always on my pictures, just click to enlarge (if desired...)



Howdy, y'all! Following tradition, we spent the 23rd of July at the Ogden Pioneer Days rodeo. All of my children are cowpokes at heart, Phoebe probably being the least, but somehow she ended up on the horse... Brandon thinks his 15 minutes of fame in life is talking to the local Whoopie Girls, and pointing them out EVERY time they ride by. I appreciate the Carter family for putting up with him... :)


The 24th was spent at the parade, with cousins, McDonalds breakfast, and FUN! what more could a kid want?


And then, let me tell you all a little secret about pioneer day. At the little Daughters of the Utah Pioneer Museum behind the Ogden temple is the funnest pioneer activity I have ever attended. Will made a covered wagon and a pioneer toy, all the kids made pioneer dolls, they gave them each a scarf/bonnet, they had demos of spinning and weaving wool and candy making, a fiddler, punch and cookies, and they had all these pioneer dress up clothes to try on and get pictures taken. And guess what else...it's all FREE! Yep, you read that right, a full after-parade activity for the fam, for FREE! The kids had fun, and I did, too...
And one more thing my cute dad did, (is doing) He planted a "pioneer garden" this week to show the kids just how hard it was for the pioneers to start their lives when they entered the valley on the 24th...Will told me we should have corn by Odie's birthday (in October)

16 comments:

Jeni said...

Will YOU adopt ME?!??!?! I've GOT to remember the DOUP for next year! You guys are the best parents ever.
I LOVE that Brandon talks to the Whoopie Girls!

GINGER said...

That sounds like so much fun. I will also have to remember DOUP for next year. I remember going to the museum and hanging out their with my grandma. I am sure you did the same, since our grandma's were best friends. I love the simple fun things that help kids remember their heritage. You do such a great job with your family. I need you to write a book.

Beckey said...

Becky, your kids are so cute! We were lame on the 24th. I think we did some school clothes shopping for the kids. I'll have to take the kids to that museum someday...and I have no idea what a whoppie girls is...you'll have to explain that to me...lol

Ellie McFreaken said...

Your kids are going to have the BEST childhood memories! What a fun fun Pioneer day. And the word free is like music to the ears! You guys ARE the best parents ever!
Okay...I too don't know what exactly is a Whoopie Girl.....BUT I think I can get the jist of it.

Joanna said...

The 24th is just another day outside of Utah and DON'T get me started on the LAME NY parades. LAME,LAME,LAME...my poor kids! It looks like it was a lot of fun!

Becky A said...

jeni, phoebe is embarrassed that cade is in that picture with her!

Stacy said...

I want to be part of yur family too! Life in Malad is very dull especially with gas the way it is! I also forgot that the doup museum was back there. I will have to remember that for future use. Thanks for sharing great info.

Jeni said...

That picture will be great for future wedding video usage. ;) JK phoebe!

Jeni said...

I keep forgetting to tell you that I think the Pioneer Garden sounds really cool...I'm interested in how it turns out so keep me posted! Really...how does one think to do something cool like that?!?!

Shaury said...

Hi I'm the bratty baby sister & I have to say the DoUP was all my idea so you can send all your thanks my way. :)

Becky A said...

shaury shaury shaury, thank you thank you thank you...I really did mean to mention in my post that it was your idea...I would not have known about it had it not been for my fabulous baby sister, who invited us all and then left before we got there...thanks, shaur.

Tiffany said...

How fun! Hey Becky It's a great place to take the achievement day girls. We did that when Shae was 10 fun for the girls. Great Idea Shaury... heee heeeeee
(Is that still your calling?)

Angie said...

I will also be going to the DOUP even though I get really tired of pioneer stories. Maybe its cuz mine crossed the border :) Cool what your Dad is doing though.
And yes, I almost had my digits on book 4, dang. I will tell story soon.

Ellie McFreaken said...

Becky, Just wanted to tell you before we leave that the movie was good! I really liked it and will probably buy it. I don't know if Elle and Mo understood it all but they really liked it too. It has a great message to it.
It's a good thing you didn't come we didn't get out of there until 6:30!

Stacy said...

Okay Becky, I told you I was going to give you a hard time for neglecting your blog. This is only for 2:30 a.m. entertainment. hee-hee. It was good to see you yesterday at the races.

E-Club said...

go to enncentral.blogspot.com to see my webshow....our first webshowq will be on the 16th or the 23rd of August~eli