Thursday, July 24, 2008

We're Back!

First of all, pause my music because my slide show below has music attached...
So we went on a little camping trip to Bryce Canyon over the weekend. We had never been there, and let me tell you, it is absolutely amazing! Our Heavenly Father's creations on this beautiful earth NEVER cease to amaze me! Such variety! And the history of these National Parks is what I really dig. I can't imagine what pioneers and settlers and even earlier the Native Americans must have thought when they came across these places...
We went on 3 little hikes, the first day down in to the canyon, (Lucy was naughty) and the other 2 days we just did some little ones. One of my favorite things to do on Sunday when camping is go to Sacrament meetings when they are held in hotel conference rooms and we wear our camping clothes. (unless I remember to bring skirts, which has actually only happened once in my life.) I feel so spiritual when I am out in nature that has been preserved for so many years, and to go to a humble little sacrament meeting where everyone's purpose is the same, not to socialize or show off a new dress, but to renew their covenants by partaking of the sacrament...well, I wish I lived in a campground so I could attend camping church every week! ok, now i'm done with my little testimony sharing...I'll move on.
That's not the only reason I fantasize about being a hermit in the mountains. I LOVE to just spend time away from the world with my little family. Although we weren't exactly away from the world, in fact, there were more european languages being spoken in the park than english, seriously...we had a very french family camp right next door to us, the mom was the french version of my bff Tara, well actually a cross between her and Posh Spice, and their youngest daughter was the french version of Angie b's daughter Ellie. They had 3 little girls, and it was so fun to hear their little french chatter. Brandon appreciated the fact that French Posh came out of the trailer one morning in a fun little dress. I kid you not. Brandon said "That's a cute little dress she's wearing!" Leave it to the french to look tres chic even when camping!
We had a little lightning storm on sunday night that scared the daylights out of Will and Lucy, but we made it through without being struck! Will got a pocket knife for his souvenir and for the rest of the trip we heard things like "I didn't get this cut from my knife." and "the hot dog stick poked me right here, not my knife" and even "I had this cut before I got my knife"...hmmm...it makes a mommy wonder, indeed!
On the way home we stopped at the Young Living Family Farm to see their Lavender in bloom! Wow! remember my post about lavender? yes, you can smell it in the air, and yes, it is as beautiful as the pictures you see. BUT the sweet lady at the visitors center did not feel the same about our 5 camp-worn kids in their lovely essential oils shop. We didn't stay long once we caught her daggers...but did snap a couple of pictures...they have a 5k down there in late June, Brandon can't wait for next year. (I bet we forget)
Brandon is our camp chef when we go on trips. One of his hidden talents is dutch oven cooking. He made every breakfast and dinner while we were there. I was in charge of lunches, which consisted of sandwiches, chips and fruit every day. Boring! But Brandon, on the other hand, is building up quite a repertoir! A few of his specialties were dutch oven chicken pot pie, (way good!) german pancakes in the dutch oven (or Dutch babies) and a blueberry cobbler that was out of this world! I won't bore y'all by posting our entire menu for the 5 days, but be assured, the man is a master!
I know, I'm making everyone jealous by sharing my oh-so-interesting stories of my oh-so-perfect trip! Right now I can't think of a negative thing to say about it...oh wait, yes I can. Odie didn't like the van ride home and Lucy was an absolute nightmare on the first hike. AND I don't like when you stop at gas stations that are hooked to tire stores and they have workers that come tell you how horrid your tires are while you are pumping your gas. Is there a vehicle that rolls through there that looks safe to him? I say no.
We had fun. Here are some of our pictures. Enjoy.

16 comments:

Angie said...

I didn't realize that lavendar field was so close, thats awesome. And believe it or not, your post actually made me want to go camping for about 20 seconds which is more than any other time I've felt that in my life! Forget carpets Brandon, what you charging for that dutch oven chicken pot pie? Sounds yumderful! Also, love that pic of Phoebe posing, she doesn't forget herself even when doing the outdoorsie thing.
ok, I know I just told you I was going to bed but I'm blog jumping instead...happens so easily...

meegz said...

That post did make me want to go camping!!:) Especially to Bryce. We've only stopped in to look -- years ago. We'll have to hike it sometime. There just aren't enough days in the summer!!! Glad you had fun

Kim said...

It never ceases to amaze me! The things God created for us to enjoy and explore! The world is amazing!

Kim said...

oops, I just read your blog a little closer, and you practically said the same thing!

Stacy said...

I remember one time when I was a kid and we went down there somewhere and there were several europeans and we saw just how "free" they were. We were coming back to camp as two of them were changing their clothes right there in the middle of nowhere. Swimsuits I might add. Eeewwwww! I am glad you didn't run into any of that. I also want the chicken pot pie recipe if it is willing to be shared. PLEASE?!

Jeni said...

My mouth is watering thinking of Brandon's cooking...does he hire out?
I've never been to Bryce :(..that is DEFINITELY on my to do list....& I've never been to camping church! How fun! I really want to go to camping church! Wait...I did go to church in the Wild Woods up provo canyon when I was little & we saw our current prophet...but I didn't know hotels had rooms for church! I need more details about hotel church :)
Your photos are beautiful & so is your family!

Tiffany said...

Oh I love Bryce! It's funny that is my very fav place my mom & dad took us a few times growning up, but I've never taken my kids. Sounds like you had a good trip.
love the pictures....

Ellie McFreaken said...

OH, I love your pictures...they are beautiful!!!!!
Bryce Canyon is so pretty, I too didn't realize the lavendar fields were so close. Remind me next year to do that.
So when is Brandon having over all your blogging buddies for a dutch oven......??????

Joanna said...

After living in Utah for 25 years I have never been there and now I am gone! It is beautiful! I love looking at your girls and thinking they are YOU! The smiles on them are amazing! Darling kids. Too bad we aren't closer and we could camp together. My kids always love it when we go with other people.

Beckey said...

Looks like a fun camping trip! I am not a huge fan of camping unless I have a trailer so needless to say I haven't been in a while. Your pictures are great and very cute kids too!

Kristie said...

I love Bryce Canyon! So beautiful and the hikes are a nice size. Did you get to stay at Fruita? I am jealous of your fun!!

Jenny Kapp said...

Sorry - it's me, jenny not my sis Kristie. I didn't know she was logged on!!

Becky A said...

kristi, i mean jenny, we didn't even end up going to capitol reef, it was too far for me to go without a reservation!

Diana said...

Ditto to all your thoughts, we just returned from Yellowstone and I was in awe. You said it oh so perfect in your little testimony:) Thanks for sharing. I'm with Angie B...I'm liking her idea of Brandon/blogging buddies and dutch oven cookin.

Shell Bell said...

My best friend has run the lavender days 5k for the last 3 years. They absolutely love it and plan to come back to Utah each year for it even if they move away. She wants me to do it with her next year so I will try to remember to remind you guys when it is coming up. Here is the address to her blog about this years activities. You can see there is fun for all even after the run. http://beattytown.blogspot.com/2008/06/lavender-days.html
Sorry I don't know how to do the link thing.

Shaury said...

Holy crap that's alot of comments! What a bunch of happy campers, of course I'm glad you added the little bit of bad at the end because it was sounding too good to be true. We're going camping soon & I guess I need to take notes so I can enjoy it a little more.