Sunday, July 13, 2008

My Birthday...again...

I'm about to put ya'll through another birthday post...I wanted to "journal" what we did on my big day, it was such a good one!
One of my favorite things to do is go out to breakfast, so of course, that was a must on my birthday. But first I wanted to sleep in...and I did! Then it was off to the Oaks, up Ogden Canyon. We have been going there for YEARS, breakfast is especially fun. They have seating outside along the river. It's beautiful! But sadly that is about the only thing they have to offer...their service is NEVER good, and hasn't been for years, and the food, well, it's nothing special...although I had a sweet potato pancake that was pretty yum. We enjoyed it, don't get me wrong. The ambiance makes it definitely worthwhile! After coming home and chilling for a while, we headed back up to Trapper's Loop for a hike. We went on the Green Pond trail, but of course didn't make it to the pond. Brandon and I have learned the hard way, that when hiking with children, don't worry if you don't make the destination! Turn back when needed, remember, you have to hike back as far as you came in! And this particular hike is downhill all the way in, which of course means an uphill battle all the way back...we've learned everyone is happier if not pushed to their limit. We want everyone to enjoy hiking! So we turned around at 1.5 miles, which still made for a 3 mile hike...(thanks to Brandon's GPS that tells us our mileage, what a nice addition to our hiking lives!)


We came home and chilled some more, then sent the kids to watch a movie at Tiff's and went on a DATE to Chili's. We are not regulars at Chili's, so neither one of us knew what to order, but we both lucked out with what we got! Another good reason for us to be camping on our birthdays...eating out is one of our favorite things to do, so we ate out so much last week that I think we each gained 10 lbs. for our birthdays! Not the best present to get...

It turned out to be the perfect day. I'm definitely blessed with a caring husband and 5 cute kids that really wanted to make my birthday special...Willie even picked out a special outfit for himself to wear that he thought I would like. And now we have our camping trip to look forward to for next week. So, as Phoebe said in the card she made for me, I guess I am officially "One year older and wiser, too!" (I don't know about the wiser part...)

11 comments:

meegz said...

Where is that trailhead? And how far to the pond?
Glad your birthday was GREAT!

Becky A said...

the trailhead is on the new Snow Basin Highway, about 1.2 miles west of Trapper's loop. Trail forks .25 miles in, take the right fork. To get to the pond itself, turn left on a short side trail marked "Picnic Area. Leash Dogs." (we never made it to that sign) It's actually 2.5 miles to the pond, I believe. If you stay on the main trail rather than going over to the pond, you come out at the overflow (upper) parking lot of Snow Basin. (so my trail guide says)
and yes, I forgot to add, we saw a snake (Jeni) Maybe I should add a "snake tally" to my sidebar!
Ok, now that I get my trail guide out and reread it, we may have been on the wrong trail altogether! There was one across the highway from the sign that went more uphill? It was a nice hike, nevertheless...

Joanna said...

sounds like you had fun! I miss the mountains.

I can't believe how much your girls look like you. I need to know more. Who is who and ages. I need your email address.

Stacy said...

Sounds like the perfect day to me. YOu deserve one of those every now and again! Have another soon k!
P.S. sorry to hear about the old apricot tree. That is soooooo sad!

Diana said...

Happy Belated B-Day to both you and Brandon. Sorry it's late I was up on the Pioneer Trek. Loved it!!! Mine and Kent's b-days are 4 days apart it makes for a fun week of feastivities:)

Shaury said...

How weird Diana cause my birthday & David's is 6 days apart. There must be something to that. Becky sounds fun! Mostly the sleeping in part.

Ellie McFreaken said...

Sounds like it was a great birthday BeckY!
Megan....the Green Pond trail is right where we did both our family pics last year!

Jake went last week on that trail Becky and ran OVER a rattlesnake and it striked at him! Who knew we lived in the land of so many stinkn' snakes? Ugh!

Yep, I think that you and Megan should add a snake tally to your sidebars for the hikes. This past weekend we went camping and I was so afraid of bears that I forgot about the snakes. Luckily we didn't see either!

Becky A said...

where did you go camping, angie? last year in yellowstone I couldn't sleep because I kept thinking a bear was going to attack my kids while they slept!

Angie said...

Your comment made me lol. Loved your thoughts on Twilight even though they were mostly negative. It's great that we're all different!
I agree on the service at the Oaks and also feel I can make a better meal at home, but cannot create the atmosphere either. Happy Belated. Brandon is so sweet. Loved the dread pic, not the speedo so much :)

Jeni said...

Angie B..the uinta's are too high for snakes! (I like the Uinta's!)
I so agree about the oaks. GREAT ambiance if you DO get an outdoor table...ok food.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY BECKY!
I like to sleep in too. BB. :)

Angie said...

oh I forgot to say sorry if I pressured you into commenting. It will NOT happen again. Just say No Beck.