Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Lucy...Again!


This is the type of outfit Lucy would wear every day if her mean mom would just let her! She loves stripeys and tank tops. Can you say Punky Brewster? Anyways, today has been one of those days with little Buggy. I was in a bad mood from the moment I opened my eyes. Notice I didn't say "got out of bed". this is because I layed in bed from 7 until 7:30, dreaming about the whole wheat waffles I needed to be up making. Of course Lucy was asleep by my side, and when I finally willed myself to get up, she popped her eyes open, too, even though she could have done with about 2 more hours of sleep! It is so hard for me to get up in the a.m. sometimes. When Lucy gets up with me, she won't leave my side, even to lay on the couch while I make breakfast. I wasn't in the mood for whining, (like sometimes I am...haha) so I let her sit where she wanted, which happened to be Abby's seat, then when Will came out he thought he should get a different seat too, and what do you know he wanted the same seat as Lucy! Go figure! I have to add, Abby and Phoebe have a marvelous sense of when mom is in a bad mood, and jumped to help any way that they could all morning long. Phoebe and I decided that I would teach her to start the waffles so she can help me that way in the mornings, sometimes...So we got the girls out the door, and went upstairs to get the littles dressed. You know from previous posts, this is a battle waiting to happen with Lucy. I felt ok about it, because I had picked out a pretty funktified outfit for her, including stripeys and dotties and a skirt, but of course I hear "Whine whine I don't wanna wear this whine whine I want my whine monkey whine shirt!" To which mommy replies "I don't know where your monkey shirt that is 2 sizes too small is" ( I should add "grinding teeth grinding teeth") and exits stage left. Well, soon the whine whine turns to scream, wail, scream, wail "Mooooommmmmyyyy! Mooooommmmmyyyyyy! Mmmooooommmmmmyyyyy!" I am already so grouchy that it takes every fiber of my being to ignore her, but the girl is so stubborn she usually wins this war and she knows it. I can only ignore noise at this decibel level for so long. Will adds "she sure is happy" which is just a testament as to the amount of sarcasm that abounds in our household. Turns out we both win. She screams until I come to her rescue, but by rescuing her I get to put on her the clothes I had out. except we switched the stripey sweater for a flowery tank top, with the promise to put the sweater on when we leave the house. I can only hope this wardrobe thing will get easier when the weather warms up. Anyways, long story longer, after she was dressed but still sad, I held her and rocked her for a minute, and I was in tears because I don't know how I 'm going to get this girl from the little stink she is now to a successful adult. I'm scared to death that I'm not up to the challenge of raising her! She is so stubborn and sassy, but she is also super smart, and funny, and cute as a button. She brings alot of joy to our home, but also ALOT of the opposite of joy. She's only 3 1/2. What are her teenage years going to hold? I know a strong will can be a good thing, but it has to be used the right way. How do I reign it in and teach her to use it for good? My mother-in-law once said she thinks Lucy could run a large corporation right now. Here's to my little corporate executive...or should I say watch out Hillary...

10 comments:

GINGER said...

Becky, I absolutely LOVE reading your blog. You make me feel so much better. I too have one of those adorable, yet strong willed, unable to be reasoned with 3 1/2 year olds at my house. Mine thinks she rules the world (she is a little 'spoiled' being the youngest). I thought I was the only one whose 3 year old climbed into bed with me every morning. Thanks for the fun words.

P.S. Sorry, that pig video is addicting. Belle LOVES it. There are a couple other spin-offs on youtube. Maybe I will post one of those another day.

Jenny Kapp said...

I thought Elise was the only one who thought tank tops and skirts were appropriate attire for winterish weather!! We had that same fight this morning. I insisted on a sweater and tights which she decided was totally unjust and I am a mean mommy! I do have to say she is getting a little bit better, now that she turned 5! Only a year and a half to go! Yeah!! You are such an excellent mom that I am sure she will be just fine, even as a teenager! Or at least you can call me and we can cry together over our crazy, strong-willed teenagers!!

Jeni said...

Lucy for President! I would totally vote for that cute little thang!
PS: Brandon-Trevor must have never seen me run/crawl!
PSS: I'm so glad to know you like Cowboy Junkies...ahh...another blog bonding moment!

Ellie McFreaken said...

Becky, I think we should have a "free expression" park day with all our stubborn girls. Molly would come in her pants with a skirt over it and then with a tank top and three coats on top of that...her hot pink one of course on the top. Then we could all get a good laugh of what they really would look like if it was up to them every day.
I remember telling miss Laine last year that I was letting Molly "express" herself when she came dressed looking for a parade.
Keep taking pictures of her...it will be fun for later years :)

Ellie McFreaken said...

Becky...quick question...Have you read New Earth? The one that Oprah is making such a huge deal about?

Diana said...

I'm liking Angie's suggestion of "free expression park day". If anyone has seen Maggie running around lately you can tell I stopped fighting the battle, she is quite the sight... most days I'm just thankful she got herself dressed. One less thing I have to worry about - although it is pretty embarrassing when I pick her up from preschool. I use to try explaining, but then I realized we all have 2-5 year olds. Heck, my 7 year old still comes up with some pretty interesting combinations. What's a mother to do?

Angie said...

I'm just glad to know that there's another mom out there who can barely breathe when her child is in unmatched clothes. Brooks tries to dress himself and I can stand it for about 30 mins before I tell him that the other shirt I picked out is one that Troy Bolton wears. Do you think I'll have to pay for these lies in the spirit world? If so it's well worth it. I'm simply overjoyed to have found something that works on him. I noticed you said before that Brandon is the same way about matching so you're lucky girl. Steve could give a rat's crap about mismatched clothing but at least now you know why my children look the way they do during summer when Mom's working and Dad's off. If you see them at the park this way and there are other moms, please explain for me. Thanks.

Becky A said...

Quick fix...Brandon doesn't match, but he lets me match. Brandon and I both are so neutral in our color and clothing selection, that the 2 of us can wear anything in our closets together. Maybe that's my problem, I've tried to solve it by buying Lucy some pretty funky stuff. I should have stuck with the neutrals. And great idea w/the park thing, Angie Mc. or should I say angie b. :)

Anonymous said...

Lucy sounds so much like Skyla! Skyla is starting to tame down a little, and birthday #4 is coming up next week. Is 4 the magic number? I have surrendered to the self-expression too, but I lay in bed at night stewing over the battles I can foresee in the years ahead. HELP!

Lucy is a doll. It's hard for me to imagine her being a stink, but speaking from experience I know looks can be decieving!

Stacy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.