Monday, April 7, 2008

conference weekend



I feel so inclined to share one of our traditions on conference sunday...delicious blueberry-lemon pancakes!

1 3/4 c. milk
1 T. baking powder
1/2 c. oil
1/2 t. salt
2 eggs
1/2 t. grated lemon peel
1 3/4 c. flour
1/4 c. sugar
1 1/2 c. blueberries

1. In med. bowl, beat together milk, oil and eggs. In large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, salt, lemon peel and baking powder. Pour wet ingredients into flour mixture & stir lightly just until blended. Stir in 1 cup blueberries.
2. Heat griddle or large skillet over med-high heat. Lightly brush with oil. Use 1/4 c. batter for each pancake. Cook 2-3 min. Flip and cook 1 min more. As each batch is done, keep warm in oven until batter is finished.
3. Garnish with remaining 1/2 c. blueberries.

makes 14 pancakes, about 4-5 servings.....So very yummy!!

I've been making these for years on conference sunday. One year we were out of town during conference and my kids thought they would die without them!

We love conference weekend at our house. The kids seriously look so forward to it for weeks. It is probably the time we have the most family traditions in our little family. To me, it always feels almost like New Years, because after hearing all the counsel from our general authorities, I always have a renewed commitment to be a better person, mother, wife, etc...it's a new beginning in a way. I'm so thankful for the gospel in my life and the guidance it provides. Great to be reminded of how we need to be, and that it is indeed possible.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We love conference weekend as well. It really does get you pumped to do better.(maybe that's why they have it twice a year). In my case it should be quartly. ha ha. I am excited to try your recipe, it looks yummy. So i forgot my password so I'll be going anonymous today. Jill :)

Ellie McFreaken said...

Becky, SO...I am really wanting another boy and was wondering if Owen was up for adoption? I am thinking no more pregnancies, a boy (darling if I might add) and I could finally get my little blond blue eyed that Jake and I will never be able to make ourselves!
Okay since I already know the answer to that question I will just take the yummy pancake recipe instead. Not quite as cute but oh well!
I really loved the talks I "listened" to this past weekend but it also makes me feel inadequate because there is so much I need to work on. It's nobody's fault but my own. I did enjoy the talks though and I too treat it more like a new years! So here's to a Happy New Years!!!!!

P.s. of course you can comment on my other blog. That is probably going to be more of just my kids. I want them to read that someday and know the great times and the struggles I have as a Mom.

Jenny Kapp said...

What a fun tradition. My mom always makes german pancakes for conference sunday. I was sad this year that we weren't in Provo to enjoy them. I guess the good mom would have got the recipe from her mother and made them anyways! Happy New Year!!!!

Two word verifications for this comment!!!

GINGER said...

Becky, your kids are all so cute. I haven't seen Owen as much as your others for some reason, so I love to see him. Thanks for the recipe. WE like to do breakfast for dinner, so now I just need to decide which night. It it so fun to read about your fam. You would think we could just keep in touch since we live like 5 min apart, but oh well. When it warms up we need to go to the park. Belle would love to play with Lucy.

Tiffany said...

Oh he is sooooo cute! I wish he was mine. We need another boy at our house. We also Love conference weekend. Thanks for your comments on my blog. love ya tons...

Diana said...

We must of been thinking along the same lines for our blog topic. I love conference weekend and all the family traditions. Thanks for sharing. I love how you compared Conference to New Years, I've always felt that way but never had the right words to decribe it... New Years with new resolutions is perfect for a new beginning in April. Thanks for your anology:)