Wednesday, September 17, 2008

kitchen chaos...part I

I've had several questions about my kitchen remodel. We are now one week into it, I finally took some pictures. Today they are sheetrocking, so it's getting pretty exciting. The demolition was kind of upsetting too me, and I started second guessing everything I had planned. I didn't get any pictures when it was totally gutted, like when the floor in one spot was ripped up and we had dirt crawl space floor for a few days. But it's still pretty bare. I got lights yesterday! Something that my 80 yr. old kitchen had very little of...very exciting! But still stressful. So many decisions!

insulation! something else we didn't have AT ALL in the old kitchen.
what was the "back porch" before...soon to be dining area.
there used to be a bathroom right here.

this is where my kitchen sink was and will be again. only a better version! and look at all those outlets! We only had 2 in the entire kitchen before, and they were the old non-polarized kind.
here's how we're living for now. (don't look too close, everything is messy) I feel like we are staying at an extended stay motel- table, fridge, microwave and various bags of groceries etc. strewn about the family room. The tight quarters are very frustrating to me! recycling is not happening for now, and I am using strictly paper and plastic dishes! UGH...the kids feel like we're on vacation, though.

12 comments:

Jenny Kapp said...

Yeah! You are going to love all of that new space. I understand the demolition part sure makes life messy!! From here, it will go quicker! Can't wait to see the finished product!

Beckey said...

I remember when my mom tore apart her kitchen she had the fridge outside on the back porch...it was a mess...but the final outcome was awesome! Hope yours turns out just as you hoped!

Ellie McFreaken said...

Oh I have been waiting for the pics! I can't wait to see the final product. All I can say is hand washing dishes for so many years deserves a medal. Keep us posted!

Tiffany said...

Oh Beck Come eat with us any time... So that's why my house is so cold! aahhhh I feel your pain. Looking at those pics made me think of Grandma she use to rock cole to sleep in the kitchen by the heater. Almost everyday for awhile. Just think everyone changes things look at our parents.
They have totaly change the houses we grow up in and so will ours...
I can't wait to see it.

amy said...

How exciting! Gotta love those houses without insulation. That's why I have 3 kids in 1 room.

Diana said...

Good luck my friend... for someone who loves to Bake/cook you deserve a state of the art kitchen:) I hear ya on the stress of all the decisions... that is why I never want to build again. I am the most indecisive person.

Joanna said...

how exciting for you! I want a new kitchen!! I can't wait to see the finished project!

Stacy said...

Becky, I promise that you will be so glad when it is over and will appreciate your new kitchen even more. The outlets will be one of the best improvements! I was so glad when we had our house rewired. Life was so much easier.
It will be grea in the end!

Jenny Kapp said...

We looked at the Outback. The wheelchair didn't fit in it very well. We had the same problem as with our current car. I need a car that I don't have to lift the wheelchair so far in on its side. If I can wheel the chair in, instead of lifting it, problem solved. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Mindy said...

it is like watching a cool remodel show except no one sent you to a resort while the construction is going on. Hope it goes smooth and your hubby and you still like each other by the time it is done.

Jeni said...

WOW! I love remodels!..although..it IS so hard to live IN the remodel.
I am so excited for you! I can't wait to see the next stage!
Did you strategically put that nutella in the photo for me? We used to put that stuff in the fridge & eat it with a spoon...heart attack on a spoon..but yummy.

Jeni said...

PS...a long time ago I was able to get on your dinner blog...and you had a recipe for a yummy cornbread I wanted to try....could you get it to me?