Friday, September 12, 2008

Grandma Bev

This has been an emotional week for our family. Brandon's Grandma Bev passed away last Saturday. I've been struggling with this post all week, not quite knowing the best way to convey what we are feeling and thinking right now.

For FHE on Monday, we reminisced about Grandma Bev. It was fun to hear what the kids remembered about her, and some of the things Brandon told we hadn't heard before. (surprise, surprise ;)

Abby said she always thought of Grandma when she had Sunny D. Abby got a Sunny D every time she went to her house. She also will remember the $2 bills Grandma gave at Christmas time.

Phoebe remembers when Grandma Bev came to see her in Babes In Toyland last Christmas. Grandma told us how much she loved that every time we saw her since! Phoebs also said when they used to visit her that she liked to just sit and have little conversations with Grandma Bev.

Will remembers helping Pop mow Grandma Bev's lawn when he was really little. I think he was probably 2 years old. He used to almost knock Grandma Bev over with his running hugs he used to give. He always had a hug for Grandma Bev. He liked to get a Sunny D over there, too, after working in her yard.

Lucy remembers Grandma's teddy bears. She used to let her push the button on one that played a song. She also remembers giving her the sock monkey Gram made for her at Christmas.

Owen shares the Argyle name with Grandma Bev. When he got his Argyle sock monkey from Gram on his first birthday, Grandma Bev declared that she wanted one, too. My mom made one for us to give her for Christmas, and it was so fun to see how happy she was when we gave it to her. Also, one of Owen's favorite blankies was made by Grandma Bev.

Brandon remembers lots of things, of course, but I'll just share a couple. He remembers her taking him to get his haircut when he was a child. He remembers when his mom and Grandma Bev would come in to Taco Time while he was working. He said you always knew when Grandma Bev was there. She'd start yelling, "Brandon! Where's Brandon?" if he was in the back. That made my kids all laugh. I think they could picture it and hear Grandma Bev shouting his name.

When I first met Grandma Bev, Brandon and I were just dating. He took me over to her house to see his mom and sister, and cousin Amy. Grandma Bev's first words to me were "I'm Grandma Bev, and that's just what you'll call me!" So I have, ever since. I can't think of her without seeing her twinkling eyes and smile.

Brandon and I have both always felt the love Grandma Bev had for us and for each of our children. She will be missed dearly. We'll wear our Argyle plaid with pride, and love for Grandma Bev!

6 comments:

Jenny Kapp said...

Very sweet post! I love that you had a memory session with your kids. What a great idea! Becky, you rock my world! I know I can count on you to me my fellow rebel!

Aleesha said...

I'm so sorry. That was a very nice post though. It'll be good to look back and remember.

I love the argyle as well.

Angie said...

You are so sweet Becky. It made me cry...Surprised, prob. not after seeing me yesterday. I've really been struggling with losing Grandma, even though I know it's better for her. I'll really miss her. Your song was beautiful. Thanks for adding so much to the service. Love you.

Stacy said...

Hey Becky, I feel for you and Brandon and I am so sorry for your loss. Merrill lost his Grandma on Tuesday and we are glad she isn't suffering any more but it still very sad!

Beckey said...

Becky- I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my grandmother about a year ago and it's so hard. That's so great to write down what your kids remember about her since they are small. When they grow up you'll be able to help them remember.

Joanna said...

I am so sorry for your loss! What a great post. How special that your kids have such great memories of her and ones that they will always remember. My grandma Beverly passed away this year so I know what you are all feeling right now. These are the times when I am most thankful for the gospel in my life and the comfort of the Holy Ghost. I will be thinking of you this week!