Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Tuesday Tell All--Smell

hmm.. I decided I don't really like these "sense" tta's. Kind of boring! I have to say, my favorite smell right now is brownies baking! 2 other things that come to mind, Tiff brought me some of "grandma's" flowers from her yard last week, and they smelled beautiful in my kitchen for days! mmmmm....and on my last day at work before furlough, my buddy Bill (the homemade yogurt guy, to long-time bloggers) gave me a bag of 3 lavender "starts". The bag was disgusting from the outside, all dirty and slimy looking, but I could smell the most wonderful smell everytime I even touched the bag! The sweetest smelling lavender I've ever smelled! Too bad it rained all that week, so I didn't get them into the ground until a week later, and now I'm afraid I've killed them! Oh dear, I never claimed to have a green thumb! And when searching for a lavender image, I didn't intend on one like this, but I thought the lavender field ones were beautiful! Can you imagine the scent in the air around these places? Wow..
I have a very sensitive nose, and Brandon has hardly any sense of smell at all. So I'm always saying what is that smell? and he never knows because he can never smell it! Willie has inherited my nose, though, and maybe even an exaggerated version! Last night I was making Pesto Pizza, and Will came in the house "What is that delicious smell? that smells delicious! It smells like Garlic!" He can identify smells like no other! This has also carried over into his sense of taste, he is my resident food critic, and luckily for me, he is a very positive critic. He likes everything...and there have been times when we sit down for dinner and he practically tells me the recipe of something, because he can identify all the different individual flavors! He is a funny boy, that Will of mine!
Have you ever noticed how I can turn every subject into a post about my kids? That is not what I set out to do on this one! Go figure...

13 comments:

Ellie McFreaken said...

Okay, So I wasn't going to get on blogs until tonight but since I am needing a little angie time here I am.
I didn't want to do the senses TTA but then after I read yours I think "oh yeah...there's stuff I can write about!" So, here goes another post on your comment board!
I love love love the smell of food! (notice how I can turn everything into FOOD!!!!) I love the smell of gresh ginger, cilantro, mint, I love to smell a BBQ, But my all time favorite smell of food is the smell of homemade bread. Every thur and Fri I would come home to the smell of my moms bread that she was selling. Cinnamon Swirl was my fav.
I love the smell of Lilacs and wish I could have transplanted our huge bushes from the green house to here. The smell up a room nad well they are so beautiful too.
Next week I will have to think harder and post on my own!
LOVE the slide show....how do you do that? I love that it is on the side like that. Give me some tips girl!

Shaury said...

Funny, David has an sensitive nose too. Too bad for him though cause he also has an overly sensitive gag reflex so if it stinks he tends to gag.

amy said...

Kids are good to talk about, talk away. I love the smell of lavender, I have managed to keep one of my plants alive for 3 years now which is a major accomplishment to me. Pesto Pizza sounds great for dinner this week, I need to get the recipe from you.

Becky A said...

of course it's angie b's recipe, but I'd be happy to share! i actually made my slideshow on Picasa, which is the program I use for all of my pictures, and then on there they had awesome super simple instructions on how to embed it onto your blog. once you make the slide show (it's an online thing) then it gives you a code, just like anything else you add to your sidebar...I have been wanting to do it for a while now, and it took me a while to find the simplest way, for me anyways.

Angie said...

Loved that lavender field pic but unfortunately lavender gives me headaches and I know its supposed to be soothing. But I'm all for the brownies smell. I think we need to have a girl brownie party!!! I've been seeing all you gals' different brownie comments and we need to share. Maybe Wil's gonna be a chef :)

Ellie McFreaken said...

Let's do a hike this next week! An easy one for the kiddos. Any ideas?

Becky A said...

that sounds great, both angies! the brownie party (yum) I'm all for it! and Angie B. I've been wanting to e-mail you about our plan...I'll have to start thinking of an easy one for us. I'm really not very good in this area, but I'll consult my sources.

meegz said...

hey, hey I'm a source!:) you could try Stone creek? up behind Weber State. It's right by the exercise trail. It's right by a creek some of the way, shaded and really pretty. It's a BIT tough...but even my Libbie did it last year no problem.
You could also do the FIRST part of Adams canyon (right across from the Layton water tanks off 89)
We did one last week off 89. Not very tough (more like a walk on a dirt road part of the way) but it's about a 1.2 mile loop and the kids loved it. Call for directions

Kim said...

Becky,
That comment about the Amish guy was pretty darn funny! You crack me up!
Glad to see your back bloggin!

P.S. That lavender picture was beautiful!

Shaury said...

Hi Betty, I just am testing my new profile picture & noticed you changed yours to flowers too. I promise I didn't copy. What can I say, great minds think alike.
PS I do really like your daisies!

GINGER said...

I love your Tuesday Tell Alls Becky. That are so much fun.

Becky A said...

hey thanks, megan! I was considering you as a source already!

Jeni said...

I was going to change mine to a flower too! Too funny! Maybe a tree or a leaf...hmmmmmm.