Thursday, June 26, 2008

The Garden

I am so lucky that my dad's garden is right outside my door! My kids (especially Will and Abby) have spent alot of time out there so far this year, and I am definitely enjoying the produce so far...
I apologize in advance for posting so many pictures at once, I'm not very good at matching up pictures with captions, so we'll see how this turns out! Good luck matching them up if they don't make sense! :)


Odie trailing Pop...


Willie learning how to run the cultivator...



Abby and Will planting...



Odie even planted his own little beans! Of course they aren't very easy to water and they are in great danger of being trampled, because they are right on the side of my driveway instead of in the garden!



Odie helping...or hindering? Yes, he is in his pj's. For some reason, he spends a lot of time in pajamas some days...


Abby was certain she was tough enough to do it herself. Turns out it's harder than it looks!

So noticeably absent from any garden pictures are my other 2 girls...too hot and dirty for the Phoeblet, and Lucy is too busy supervising and ordering everyone around to pose for pictures, I guess...

And as far as Brandon goes, I should have some pictures of him out there! Every evening if my dad is out there, so is Brandon. He pretends to help, but I think he enjoys it as much as the kids do. I hope he's learning something...

11 comments:

Shaury said...

Oh the miracle of gardening (miracle for me anyways cause I can't get things to grow). I'm with Phoebe though. I love the fresh produce but it's so hot & dirty out there.

amy said...

What fun! I have lots of memories of gardening with my Grandpa. I still haven't convinced myself to plant bush beans though... grrr. My kids are stuck with a mom that merely tries to garden, I hope we actually get something.

meegz said...

I'm envious -- you have a wonderful opportunity to teach your kids some great work ethic right at your doorstep (literally):) I need to find something like that -- no room for a garden here -- but maybe someday!!

GINGER said...

Gardens are so much fun. My Dad has my boys raising potatoes this summer. It is such a good thing. Isn't it nice to live close to family and share in the memories. I have a hard time getting anything to grow, so it is nice to have family give the kids the experience.

P.S. I do know who those people are on my blog (the german ones) come check it out. I am posting now.

Angie said...

I'm with Phoebs, dirt & bugs, ick. I can't even husk corn cuz of the earwigs and little wormies, ewe. But what a treasure of memories your kids with have with their Grandpa. They will surely remember learning and spending time with him in the garden. They are so lucky!

Ellie McFreaken said...

It's a good thing I don't live right next door to you because I would be at your Dad's heels like a kid with a question every five minutes!
My garden is doing great in some areas and lacking in others. Growing stuff is hard!!!!!
Like Megan said what a great opportunity for your kids! Your Dad is great!!!!
Did you grow Spinach? I have three Plants that are not taking off!
I am going to have to stop by and come admire your garden!

Jeni said...

Oh my...I promise I did not mean to copy you with my flashback friday being about our gardens...too funny..we are on the SAME wave length!
Just this last week I saw Will out with your dad examining the dirt in the garden & I about burst into tears. It was a beautiful moment & I wanted to take a picture.
These are such great memories for your kids.

Becky A said...

Angie b. We are eating spinach daily! We have tons! Everyone else, notice I do not appear in any pictures. If left to me, the garden would look as dreadful as our yard...it's all my dad. I can pick and can beans like no other, though, so I will be an active participant then, as will Shaury, right?

Tiffany said...

The garden looks great! My dads peas are coming on now I think we are going to pick saturday! I love seeing your kids out there it reminds me of us when we were kids... can't say that I liked it too much. I wish I could be like our dads. Grandpa & Grandma sure taught them how to work and work hard...

Jenny Kapp said...

Wishing they would all come and garden at my house. I think we have already killed everything we planted this year!! BTW - quit whining, I posted!

Shaury said...

I LOVE GREEN BEANS, & they will definately get me out in the heat & dirt to pick those beautiful, tasty little gems. Hooray for neither of us being pregnant this bean season. I also love to can them now that we know how on our own (ha ha).