Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Book Club Query

So I have book club at my home in a couple weeks and I just finished the book tonight, so now, on to the planning... We usually try to match the food we have to the book, but I need help! I think the only food mentioned was like a beach house dinner, main course being Oyster Stew. Sorry gals, that is NOT on my agenda! The book was in no way set at the beach, either. Just one little dinner...They also had cake, and lots of iced tea and wine, etc. at other points in the book, but I like to serve an entire meal......SO-- I know lots of my blog readers are amazing cooks, and have a plethora of recipes to share, and lots of you belong to my book club, and maybe picked up on some other food ideas that I missed. Or maybe you just have something you think would be yummy. I'm looking for suggestions, here, from everyone! Not just book club members! I will not reveal what will be served until the night of, but food is my favorite part of planning things. So help me out here! What shall I serve? Is this even worthy of posting about? It's my blog, so I guess can post whatever I want...plus I like to ask questions so that I get lots of comments...so suggest away! Or just give me some other lame comment. You all know what I think about that!

11 comments:

Ellie McFreaken said...

When you said Oyster Stew I immediately thought of Jeni and the Poll family because she said they used to eat Oyster Stew every CHristmas(?) or some holiday in my old green house with Lola.
Jeni...I may have this wrong...but I remember something like this!
I am with you Becky...Oyster Stew doesn't sound to appealing.

Becky A said...

Funny! My Grandparents used to have Oyster stew every christmas morning too! In fact, after Grandma died my parents went over a couple of christmases to make it for grandpa. Not yummy! Sad that no one wants to carry on the tradition!

Shaury said...

Book club shmook club. Yuck! Even if I had a fabulous idea I wouldn't share it because the book club has discriminated against me just because I don't read.

GINGER said...

Oysters remind me of eating erasers (that have been used) YUCK. Maybe you could do a seafood stew. I will have to look around, but I have a recipe that you actually can cook in a crockpot or dutch oven. That is really yummy.

P.S. I put more details about the block puzzles on my blog.

Becky A said...

oh shaury, I knew that's how you would feel when I was typing this post! But I didn't think you'd comment at all! :)

meegz said...

Without knowing what the book is about --- what about some sort of "tea party" wiht a yummy salad too??? The whole seafood thing just sounds yuck to me.
Salad, cookies, cakes, "tea" (soem yummy raspberry/7 up drink) or even shirly temples. Angie B has a great recipe for that. I don't know -- something light and refreshing sounds good right now.:)

Shaury said...

Well I know how you like your (lame) comments. :) Sorry I'm such a brat. I hope everyone knows I'm just kidding around.

Ellie McFreaken said...

Fugees Becky???
That is my JAM girl

Jeni said...

Oh I'm laughing so hard! Shaury I LOVE that you too are jealous of the book club! Too Funny. Do you want to start one with me & I'll read the book & just tell you the good parts?
Ang-you have the best memory! Yes, every Christmas morning we'd go to Lola's for breakfast for oyster stew (which I don't eat btw). Jenette still continues the tradition, & she's added other yummy food.
How cool that Becky & Shaury's family did that too! I know Christy Poll's family also did this! Maybe they had a homaking night about it back in the day & all of sw had oyster stew!
Anyhoo.....as far as recipes go...all I can think about are cucumber sandwiches.

Jeni said...

ps...Abby was awesome at Girl's Camp. She was always helping & ready to participate in each new activity! You can be so proud of her! I love the beehives!

Shaury said...

Jeni I'd love to take you up on your book club idea. It's a very good idea. You read, I listen, & we all have fun. :) I do have to question the cucumber sandwich craving though. What the heck?