Monday, January 26, 2009

evolution

I am in a blogging rut. It has been just under a year since I started this blog. I have been thinking lately about just how much my blog world has changed since that first post back in March. I'm not enjoying it as much as I did back then, mostly I think because the newness has worn off. I am keeping it going though, because I think maybe I'll get out of this slump I'm in and start enjoying it again. But sometimes I think maybe that isn't going to happen.
The blogging world is a fun place. It's a great place for me to go to "socialize"...and has proven to be a great place to:
  • reconnect with old friends
  • bond with new friends
  • find or share a great recipe
  • find a fun hairdo (for my girls)
  • have a crazy comment conversation with people you have never met but that are hilarious
  • laugh
  • give--and receive--support
  • get a glimpse into other's daily lives--and sometimes struggles
  • realize that you are not alone
  • plan a blogging buddies game night
  • be uplifted
  • really see people's personalities...through posts and comments, too
  • get ideas for family fun
  • have daily contact with far (or sometimes not so far) away family members
(There is also a down side. I think we all realize that in one way or another...)

Funny how "the pen (or should I say keyboard) is mightier than the mouth..." Once you have put something in writing, it is there for others to read and re-read, and to interpret however they see fit. All in all, I think the good outweighs the bad.

So I will try to adapt to the evolution of the blogging world. I've decided to try to get "back to my roots" so to speak, and blog the way I used to blog...keeping it real, and keeping it "me". Except I used to do that fun tuesday tell all and the blog that created that ended, so I can't do that anymore I guess. Oh well. I love all you blogging buddies, it's a fun little world to be a part of.

10 comments:

Ellie McFreaken said...

It's crazy how it's been a year of blogging. I loved it at first and couldn't wait to post and now I have plenty to "record" about but the kids but the newness has worn off.
I love that I have been able to keep in contact with friends far away and I love that I have gotten to know people better as well. How often do we get to hang out and "talk" without kids about motherhood, life etc? I feel like I have gotten so much good advice and support during the times when maybe I would have just moped by myself.
One thing is for sure Becky. Blogging has confirmed to me how much I love having you as one of my "blogging besties". You always keep it real and I know that without bloggin we would have missed out on some good times this past year.
Love you girl!

Ellie McFreaken said...

P.S. you DO always keep it real....SO keep on keepin' on sista!

Shaury said...

That was kind of sad & the rainy day one wasn't so happy either. Do you need a hug? ha ha ha I agree with you though, & just want to encourage you to go back to the beginning when almost every thought that popped into your head seemed to have post potential (at least that's how it was for me). Luv reading ya!

Beckey said...

Becky- I am kind of in a blogging rut too. I think this stupid weather has something to do with it. I actually have NO desire to blog anymore. I still do it for my family that are 3,000 miles away and will keep doing it when I can until we move home. I kind of feel like I don't have time to do it anymore too, it's crazy how much time one can spend on a computer!!! But, I do have to say I have enjoyed looking at your blog! I love you posts!

Aleesha said...

I totally agree with ya. I was actually in a rut today because I wanted to blog something but had no idea what. I am now inspired to go back to my bloggin' roots and post nonsense. Thanks Becky. Everyone else might not be so thankful though because now ya'll get to read my nonsense.

Aleesha said...

Oh, I forgot. My dad just called and wanted me to ask you if Brandon still cleans carpets (My Grandma Poll is looking for someone.) And also, what is the name of his company that he works for? As I was looking at your blog he called. What a co-inkidink!

Diana said...

Once a month at BC just ins't enough - so keep up the blogging. I've gotten to know you more with in the past one year of blogging than the other years combined. I love your "back to your roots" post, remember the time spent on typing and creating something like that is not a waste of time it is a gift to yourself, children and inspiration to me. Now I know how much you love to scrapbook:) so the blog helps to capture those special ocassions and everyday moments. Honestly I think I look back at my own blog more then anyone elses. The kids love sitting on my lap and scrolling down to see pics of themself. It amazes me how much they change and I forget in one year. I bet your kids feel the same so keep the journaling alive - the good, the bad and the ugly:)
Wow, this comment is getting way too long but I have to say amen to your exact anology of "the pen (or should I say keyboard) is mightier than the mouth..." Once you have put something in writing, it is there for others to read and re-read, and to interpret however they see fit." Kinda of scary if you think about it!! See ya to night my friend!

pcb said...

However you need to think of it - or whatever you choose to blog about is fine with me - just keep doing it!

Jeni said...

It's just like you read my mind. March is my one year date too, and this same subject has been festering in my mind, itching to come out in a post.

I for one, hope you never stop.

I Like the suggestion of Shaury...about posting whatever pops into your head...ahhh...those were the good old days....:)...now I second guess myself when I have one of those moments...no more second guessing.

I agree with Diana...I'm the one who checks back thru my blog the most...and I'm so glad I posted what I posted, because knowing me...I would have already forgotten all those fun and not so fun events.
This is lame...but I think about it all the time... we wouldn't have the book of mormon if people didn't write stuff down...and this blog thing has been such an easy way for me to journal. hmmm the book of jeni...do you think it will fly? I didn't think so.

Thanks for being my blog buddy.

Joanna said...

Beckey and I were just talking about this on the phone. We are in blogging ruts and like she said we blame the northeast weather! I am too cold to do anything, but wear 3 layers of clothes and stay under a blanket in my house all day! I do LOVE looking at your blog and getting a glimpse into your life.