Monday, February 8, 2010

sundevil that shines

I'm sure many of you have heard me lament about my Abby. Parenting a teenager is HARD WORK for me! I find myself focusing on the hard and negative aspects of it. Somehow parenting little kids seems like common sense to me, it comes more natural. You can sort of figure out how to do it. But when it comes to Abby, it is a whole new ball game. I am constantly second guessing myself, and worrying about her, her friends, the way she dresses, her self- esteem, and tons more. So I find myself presenting life with Abby as a negative thing. She really is a super great kid, and last week this was confirmed to me. (Thanks, Mom, for driving down to SJH to take pictures for me!)




Here is a portion of the letter I received from the school. This is what the teachers and staff who nominated Abby said about her:
"Abby Arnell is an amazing student. She is kind and conscientious and a great example to those around her. Students who sit near Abby get along better because of her excellent example. As a student who turns in work of the highest quality, Abby knows how to work hard and achieve her goals. She is fun, enthusiastic, and laughs easily which puts everyone in a good mood. It is wonderful to have Abby in class."

I'm super proud, and she is super embarrassed. At least now I can remove the letter from the fridge, like she has been begging me to do! :)

8 comments:

Cory said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cory said...

Good job, Abby! Bet you're glad I taught you the plural form of fungus ... or did you teach me ... ???

pcb said...

All the effort you put in when they were young is what helps them through the teenage years. They don't always listen during those HS years - but apparently you did a good enough job then so that she has a good head on her shoulders now. I love being around Abby - and she is a good kid!

Aleesha said...

That's so awesome. There's nothing better than to hear how well your child does when you're not around. Way to go!

Joanna said...

That is awesome! Parenting is the hardest job, but I can tell by the way you talk about your kids and by the many fun family things you do you are a great mom.

I am happy to see you blogging again. I am not on FB much.

Diane B said...

Abby, you don't need your name in lights to be "awesome" to us!
XO PoP & Gram

Jeni said...

Abby IS an absolute joy! What a neat letter!

Diane B said...

Obviously, as Abby's Fan Club President, I was not surprised! Except that it took a couple of months for the school to figure it out. The cream always rises to the top. Abby is better than great!

Pop