Wednesday, February 3, 2010

a hair-raising tale





Will just turned 8 last month. What a milestone age. We are all so excited for his baptism on Saturday. But there was also something else some of us were excited for....


When Will was about 5 years old, he started talking about his long hair, and how he wished he could see his eyebrows. I LOVED his long hair, and wasn't quite ready to part with it yet. I told him when he turned 8 we would cut it for his baptism.

I've always loved the classic "dutch boy" haircut on little boys. Think Nicholas Bradford from Eight is Enough, or those 2 little twin boys on Full House. Plus Will has this huge head that I felt was better covered up by long hair. :) He actually won "Shiniest Head" in the SW baby contest one year (I chose not to be offended) but soon after that his hair became a trademark for him. I remember one year in Yellowstone when Will was probably only 2. We were going to the Ranger Program one night and people commented that his hair glowed in the dark. It was seriously WHITE back then.
(ok, not so much in this picture, but it was taken on Thanksgiving...not much sun bleachin going on in the fall...couldn't find any on my computer of the glow in the dark stuff...)

It has gradually darkened over the years, but I always thought it was just meant to be nice and long.
As his birthday approached, we began discussing his haircut. He was so excited, and was sure that he wanted it "spikey". We made the appointment for the saturday before his birthday. I have to admit there were tears shed. Not at the actual haircut, and not by Will, but by me. (and it was before the haircut) I think it was more about my boy growing up than the hair, it was just a sign of him not being my little boy anymore. After the cut, you couldn't wipe the grin off his face. He was thrilled. I think it looks pretty good, too, but he definitely looks like a different kid!

9 comments:

Diane B said...

Handsome boy with or without haircut!

Diana said...

I'll second your comment on "looking like another kid". Yesterday I was volunteering in Mr. R class and had to take a second glance, even had to read his desk name tag to confirm. I should of known, McKay was talking about his cool spikey hair last week. He does look good. His younger pictures remind me of my little Monson. Sad to think his white hair will probably darken with time as well. Missed ya at BC.

pcb said...

I feel like I can see what he really looks like now - my first thought was he looks more like Lucy than I ever thought. He also looks more rugged and boyish - I guess just more grown up - I know why you were crying!

Beckey said...

Becky...I love the new cut. I already said this on FB but Mason's hair cut is the same and I have often wondered how in the world I will cut it.

I have to tell you though...I cried when my Madison cut her hair. AT the hair cut. THe stylist must have thought I was crazy so don't feel bad there were tears before Will's!

Good luck at the baptism! Glad to see you blogging again!

Jenny Lee said...

Wow! He looks so different! So grown up! I can't believe our little preschool kids are 8 and getting baptized this year!!! Will was so good and so cute. He always will be no matter the haircut!

Cory said...

Tell Will, "Nice 'do, Dude!" for me.

Ellie McFreaken said...

SO handsome, that Will!!!
The second picture down is what I will always think of him as. White longish hair, John Deere shirt, boots, walking in your Dad's footsteps following behind him, (no time to talk) heading out into the field "working"......HARD!!!
Love that boy!
It's been so long since preschool, just wondering if he and Elle Grubb are still on for the marriage or if plans have changed:)

Joanna said...

It makes him look like a totally different kid. My Emily is 8...want to talk about an arranged marriage? :)

meegz said...

Wow -- different kid for sure!:) He looks GREAT!