Tuesday, February 17, 2009

memories...


One of my earliest childhood memories is from Valentine's Day, 1979, the day my little sister was born. I was 4 1/2 years old. The youngest, at this time, of 4.
I remember going to spend the day with my grandma and grandpa Chris.
I remember walking up the sidewalk and into their house. I think there was snow on the ground.
I remember my mom had baked valentine sugar cookies early and put them in the freezer.
I remember voting on a name, at sunday dinner sometime before she was born. I voted for Kelsey, because Larry did.
I remember standing in my grandma's kitchen, talking on the phone to my dad. He tried to make me guess what it was, but I never liked guessing. He told me I had a baby sister.
I remember peering through the nursery glass at a little baby with tons of jet black hair.
I remember people asking my mom, and me, if I was going to have a hard time not being the "baby" anymore. The thought had never occurred to me. Having a sister just 21 months older than me, I never felt like the "baby"...jealousy never crossed my 4 year old mind.

I guess maybe it should have. I didn't know I was getting a sister that would forever be cuter, funnier, thinner, more creative, more spiritual, more stylish and more talented than I. I loved her then, and I adore her even more now.

Happy 30th birthday, Shaur! I LOVE YOU!
Love, your older sister...

12 comments:

Jodi said...

Awesome post Becky!!! Can't believe you can remember so many little details and memories!! Thats so neat!! Happy Birthday Shaury!!

Angie said...

What a fun memory. Having sugar cookies pre-baked while you're nine months pregnant so the other kids don't feel left out sounds like something you would do. No wonder you are such a good mom.

Shaury said...

That was VERY nice Beck, thanks for making me feel all warm & fuzzy inside! But I have to say, I'm none of the above. You're the one who's smarter, a better mom, with prettier hair, who can sing like a bird, is an amazing cook, & pretty much my mentor for everything I do. Let me just say you're the best & I love you too!

Jeni said...

oh how sweet becky...what a neat memory, and what a neat thing to do for your sister.
I adore the both of you.

Jeni said...

ps...that fox valentine makes me laugh :) too cute!

pcb said...

Aaww - that was so sweet - I just love everyone!

Ellie McFreaken said...

What a sweet post Becky! You two cute gals are so blessed to have each other....!!!!

Joanna said...

What a wonderful post to your sister. If she is anything like you then she must be pretty great. I love all the memories you have of that day.

Diana said...

You both are amazing, as they say the apple doesn't fall far from the tree - hat's off to your incredible mommy. Happy Birthday Shaury. Becky, as always you are one of the most thoughtful people I know.

Kim said...

That was sweet Becky! Sisters Are The Best!

Aleesha said...

What a sweet sister. I have to admit, it makes me a little jealous. I love you both!!!

Shaury said...

Can you please do another post?