Wednesday, December 3, 2008

a fortunate thanksgiving weekend

I don't know if you've read the children's book Fortunately by Remy Charlip, but that is where I got the inspiration for this post.

Fortunately, the weekend started early. The kids were out of school on Wednesday.
Unfortunately, I had to cook for dinner group, for my grandparents, and yams for Thanksgiving dinner...
Fortunately, we had Jazz tickets for that night, which gave me a deadline to have all my cooking done.
Unfortunately, that meant we were all up too late for the night before Thanksgiving.
Fortunately, we were all able to get out of bed in time to go to the Thanksgiving 5 mile run, 2 mile walk, and I remembered my camera!
Unfortunately, these are the only shots I got...pre-run.
I missed a great post-run photo-op of Brandon with his wasatch back "team"...aka the Stanger's. I also failed to get a picture of the cutest running couple I've ever seen. (Jason and Jeni)
Fortunately, we got home in time for Abby and Phoebe to see David Archuleta on the Macy's parade.
Unfortunately, because the kids were all glued to the parade, we had a hard time getting ready to go to Tremonton for our Argyle Thanksgiving, and were a few minutes late to dinner.
Fortunately, dinner was not quite ready for us anyway, so I had time to brown the marshmallows on my yams at Aunt Joan's.
Unfortunately, her broiler was not working right, and it was taking forever.
Fortunately, she had another oven, which worked just fine.
Unfortunately, I was standing by said oven staring at the marshmallows when the blessing on the food was given.
Fortunately, we all thoroughly enjoyed our dinner, and the kids were thrilled to go to Gramnell's for a sleepover.
Unfortunately, Odie wasn't old enough to go.
Fortunately, he was adorable as an only child for the rest of the night and the following day.
Unfortunately, he didn't sleep in.
Fortunately, my mom was willing to tend so Brandon and I could go shopping, and we are now about 1/4 of the way ready for Christmas.
Unfortunately, we still have a lot to do.
Fortunately, we had dinner at the Cheesecake Factory with Brandon's parents that night.
Unfortunately, Brandon bought a $45 cheesecake.
Fortunately, Abby had a soccer game on Saturday.
Unfortunately, it was at 6:45 a.m.
Fortunately, that gave me plenty of time to shop with the girls for Christmas dresses to wear to the Nutcracker, and I found one for Phoebe for 50% off!
Unfortunately, Abby's wasn't.
Fortunately, the Nutcracker was wonderful, as always.
Unfortunately, we barely had time to get ready for the Jazz game after the Nutcracker!
Fortunately, Abby decided to stay home from the Jazz game, and agreed to keep Lucy home, too.
Unfortunately, the Jazz lost.
Fortunately, Brandon didn't have any meetings Sunday morning.
Unfortunately, he still had to prepare a lesson.
Fortunately, Brandon and I prepared a lovely Thanksgiving Dinner Repeat for our little family Sunday night. It was a wonderful way to end a fun-filled Thanksgiving weekend, and remember how thankful we are for each other and everything we are truly blessed with.

20 comments:

Jodi said...

What a great post Becky!!! So cute, glad you guys had a godd weekend!!!

meegz said...

very cute post becky. sounds like a good family spending some quality time together. Merry Christmas!

Kim said...

That was such a fun post!
Fortunately there is always a positive side to everything and Unfortunately sometimes we only focus on the negative! But...Fortunately everything works out somehow!

Beckey said...

I LOVE that! Such a cute idea! Glad you had a fun Thanksgiving weekend!

Cory said...

Looks like some speedy runners! It also doesn't look as cold as last year.

Joanna said...

fun post. I loved it though it made me tired. Tune in soon for our Thanksgiving weekend. Not as fun as yours, but maybe a little more relaxing. :) I am jealous you took your girls to the Nutcracker. That is something I need and want to do with mine.

Jeni said...

You are amazing! I LOVED this post.
What a fun re-cap of your holiday!

I really want to taste some of that $45 cheesecake!

Jeni said...

PS: I love your candy canes

Diana said...

Way to left your creative juices flow - however was the $45 cheesecake and 6:45am game a typo? See ya tonight at the game - I have Will's pics. I love his toothless smile.

Cory said...

I didn't know Brandon was running the Wasatch Back Relay next June. Is his team looking for another runner?

Ellie McFreaken said...

You are so creative Becky...I loved reading this. Fortunately you and the kids were there to walk with at the Thanksgiving Run/Walk. It was such a great way to start the day. Maybe next year we'll run Becky!

I'm with everyone one else....did you take a picture of the $45.00 cheesecake? What kind?

And where did you get 50% off dresses. I am looking for church dresses.

Steph said...

That was so cute! Unfortunately I didn't get any "clever" genes. Fortunately though there are awesome people like you, who did. You are great. Glad you had a great weekend.

Jenny Lee said...

you are so creative. I'm glad that you had such a fun holiday. We were in Tremonton too! Wish we could have run in to you. You did so much that weekend! Glad you had such a great time.

Becky A said...

angie, the cheesecake is actually still hanging out in our refrigerator haunting me. it's dulce de leche. yum, but he got like the most ginormous one!
Sears for dresses, I wasn't even going to look there, but thought what the heck, and they had a TON all 50% off, Christmas fancy schmancy stuff...

Stacy said...

I love the post. Sounds like a great weekend.
Macy's also has eally cute christmas dresses on sale. Merrill's mom just got Riley a really cute one.

Shaury said...

Wow! You guys are busy. I missed the opening prayer for our thanksgiving dinner too.

Stacy said...

It was really great running in to you at Target Saturday. I hope you got lots done.

Angie said...

This was an awesome post! I have to tell you that when I walked into Relief Society yesterday and saw you (with your naturally long-flowing beautiful hair), my heart jumped. I just knew you were going to sing and I said to myself, "I hope its that Mary song." Lo and behold it was. I think you made it through the second line before I started crying. I couldn't even look at you because I was too busy blubbering. You sing that song so perfect! I don't know how you do it but I really felt Mary's pain & happiness, even though you don't oversing it. You sing it better than the one I hear on the radio sometimes so do you have a recording of it? Cuz I want one if so!!

Becky A said...

angie, you are too nice. I was so happy to see you there, but you almost made me cry, too! I LOVED coming to your ward. You guys have a great relief society.

GINGER said...

What a fun post. You are so creative. I love that book. It is one of my favorites. Sound like you guys had a great thanksgiving.