Saturday, August 30, 2008

it's not easy being green...


One of my new year's resolutions this year was to be better at recycling. We have done great as a family, but it is kind of a pain! Aluminum goes to the school, where the music department receives the revenue (yay, music)..Paper goes to the "dumpster" outside of the school, which brings in revenue, also. (I put ALOT of junk mail in that one!) So it makes me feel extra good to recycle these items. As far as the other recycleables go, though, such as cardboard, plastic (PETE 1 & 2), etc. (not including glass) it has to be hauled away to the recycle bins. Oh how I long for curbside pick up! I live within walking distance of the drop-off spot, but honestly, with my kids and a wagon full of recycleables, it takes me nearly an hour to get there and back...BUT I feel guilty when I drive. So...my recycling builds up and builds up and builds up, before I finally break down and haul it away. My kitchen always looks like it's overflowing with trash, but it's just my recycling...there's got to be another way! I researched the possibility of curbside pickup here at the first of the year, and learned that a curbside program in our area can't match the performance and cost effectiveness of the system already in place by the landfill. Apparently HAFB uses the methane gas produced at the landfill to produce electricity. So Brandon says we don't have to feel too guilty about not recycling once in a while. What they have done to make it easier for us is putting the drop bins in various communities. And we are getting better. In our area in 2003, only 100 tons were recycled from bins. In 2006, it was more than 450 tons. This is SO turning into an essay on recycling. I really just wanted to express my desire for curbside pickup, although I have learned it will never happen. I guess I'll continue to trudge my junk down to the posse grounds on what should be a weekly basis, but is more like an every 3 week huge job...For some reason I just have a strong desire to be green!

15 comments:

Beckey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Beckey said...

Becky- You would LOVE to live here in Canada! Serious, they are so green compared to the States! We have curbside pickup, all we have to do it sort everything. Organics get picked up once every other week which includes paperboard, tissue, food for compost (NOBODY has a garbage disposal here)and then the "other" week is regular trash. Our family of 6 only has enough "garbage" in two weeks to fill small trash can and everything else is recyclable. All of the recyclables (steel and aluminum cans, plastics, paper, cardboard, etc.) all go in one big blue bag and they pick it up along with the organics or trash depending on which week it is and they take care of it for you. From what we hear the organization of it is Canada wide and they don't charge for garbage pick up here too. It is so amazing how organized it is. We weren't green until we lived here but when we get back to the States we want to push the cities to get going on doing more. Every little bit helps I think! Keep it up! Sorry this comment is like a novel too!

P.S. I know what you mean about your kitchen looking like there is so much garbage in it. Every week the say before pick up I get so excited to get it out of the kitchen!

Sorry, I had to fix my typos!

Jenny Lee said...

Oh Becky if we were only as good as you this world be a much better place. All the power to you and to everyone who tries to be green!

Diane B said...

Beck, don't know why the second pic on your blog didn't show up.
XO MoM

Jenny Kapp said...

You're funny! Good job on being green! I should do better too.

Becky A said...

beckey, that's why canada has a reputation for being so beautiful! I AM jealous!

Ellie McFreaken said...

Becky, I loved reading this! My neighbor Jen C. has gone to the city trying to get curbside recycling and we were just talking last week about her going back and trying again. She has a guy that picks up her stuff for $10.00 a month.
It bothers me that Utah is THE most beautiful state yet we are not responsible in taking care of it as much as we could.
I am not the poster child for recycling by any means and my garage is FULL of newspapers and plastic, bottles, cans etc. but it is something that I am trying to be better about.
Bountiful just got curbside and I think it was only $4.00 a month....
I think if we had it more people would do it. I keep thinking that we live on the backside of the dump and that should inspire us enough to want to take care of our own backyards.
Okay, now I am sounding like an essay here. I'll have to ask Jen C. about what she found out.
Random Question...do you guys have a compost? Does your Dad?

Ellie McFreaken said...

Becky one more random thing...Have you seen the cute tees at Target that are about recycling? I love those.
Funny story too...Caitlyn my cute funny neice said "OHHH I love those Go green t-shirts....I really want one."
I said good for you Caitlyn..are you into recycling? SHe said "no, I just think they are way cuter T-shirts!"
Leave it up to Target to make going green "cute"!

Mindy said...

You are not alone. We found out about the base buying steam power and kind of let ourselves off the hook a little bit. I do like that I help our school by using the bins in the parking lots. Do we get an A for effort?

Tiffany said...

Hey you should look at the Sunday paper its about going green. Anyway washington also has a weekly pick up and that was 18yrs ago. Why are we so behind?

Jeni said...

WOW! Looks like you picked a popular topic!
I wish we had curbside pick up too. I used to recycle a lot...but now..I'm embarrassed to admit..I just chuck stuff. I blame it on being married to Jason..who can't stand clutter..or piles. erg. Don't judge me because I chuck. :)

Diana said...

I was wondering if you would notice the laundry room... I almost dedicated it to you. It was long in coming, but alas it is done:) Now lets see how long it last.

amy said...

I think that they talked about curb side recycling at a city meeting lately. I will check to see what happened. I'm glad that schools back in session so that I have to go there at least weekly - now my papers won't pile up to huge piles because I hardly ever go that way in the summer.

Becky A said...

amy-me too, about going up to the school. thank goodness for dance! Jeni- I would never judge you, and like I said, steam power for hafb. I had no idea this would be such a popular topic! glad I'm not alone...definitely A for effort, mindy, and mom, only one picture...

Joanna said...

I do love curb side pick up. I can't believe how much we recycle and the kids are always asking is this going in the garbage or recycling? I love that they are learning from such a young age! Good for you for making an effort.